Professor, School of Social Sciences Humanities & Arts
My research focuses on environmental exposures and their health impacts, particularly in children. My overall goal is to conduct research that informs policies to improve public health. I also value the opportunity to work with students who will be the next generation of public health professionals. Specific areas of my work include:
- Air quality in residential, school, and childcare environments;
- Community exposures to ambient air pollutants and noise;
- Strategies to assess and prevent pesticide exposures and their health impacts in agricultural communities;
- Dietary exposure to pesticides, synthetic food coloring, and other chemicals in food;
- Developing and evaluating environmental health literacy STEM curriculum for middle and high school students in rural California.
I work closely with community groups in the Salinas Valley (CHAMACOS Partnership); the SF East Bay (West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project), and developing new projects in the San Joaquin Valley (Central California Asthma Collaborative).
Primary Research Interest:
Environment & Health
Secondary Research Discipline: