Join the Blum Center for the Inaugural Food Security Symposium, featuring human development Professor Lisa Soederberg Miller from the Department of Human Ecology at UC Davis, who will deliver the keynote talk.
"Using Food Labels to Promote Nutrition Literacy: Can We Leverage Our Investment?" begins at 9 a.m.
Miller will present an overview of nutrition literacy and its role in human health, followed by a discussion of how food labels could be better utilized as health-communication devices and nutrition-literacy teaching tools. She will describe the methods and tools she and her collaborators are using in their project designed to promote nutrition literacy, present some preliminary findings, and end with future directions within the project and beyond.
The event also features updates from the 2017 Blum Center seed grant winners:
· 10-10:10 Professor Paul Brown: malnutrition in the elderly
· 10:10-10:20 Jaapha Dhillon: sensory perceptions of fruits and vegetables
· 10:20-10:30 Zahra Goliaei: refugee food access and food security
· 10:30-10:40 Rodolfo Rodriguez: food access and UFW contracts
· 10:40-10:50 Professor Mario Sifuentez: Central Valley farmworker food studies
· 10:50-11 Professor Zulema Valdez: rural food environments
· 11-11:10 Tiebiao Zhao: irrigation pipe surveillance